Re: [CSS21] no-red-on-blank-page-ref could have used ref-if-there-is-no-red

Hi Gérard,

On 08/21/2015 10:19 PM, Gérard Talbot wrote:
> Geoffrey Sneddon,
>
> http://test.csswg.org/source/css21/reference/no-red-on-blank-page-ref.
xht

> http://test.csswg.org/source/css21/reference/ref-if-there-is-no-red.xh
>
>  It was, I believe, possible to just slightly modify (removing
> "visible on the page" and with emboldening *no red*) the 125
> associated tests linking to
>
> http://test.csswg.org/source/css21/reference/no-red-on-blank-page-ref.
xht

>  so that
>
> http://test.csswg.org/source/css21/reference/ref-if-there-is-no-red.xh
>
>  would have been reused instead.
>
> Reducing the number of reference files must become one day a
> necessary requirement for many reasons.
>
> Right now,
>
> ref-if-there-is-no-red is referenced by 289 tests

Thank you for your suggestion. I agree that it would be nice to share
more references, and I believe that all these tests had the same
wording when this reference was first submitted in 2010. (Adding them
at that point would have been better for everyone involved, but
Microsoft at that time vehemently objected to improving the test suite.)

Unfortunately, the phrasing in a subset of those tests has since been
changed, so it would be a lot of work to return to the original
situation. I do not believe that making this change is a valuable use
of my time, given how much more useful work there is to be done on the
CSS2.1 test suite. If this is something you feel strongly about, there
is of course nothing that prevents you from making those changes yoursel
f.

HTH
Ms2ger