Re: 54 new tests submitted in section 3.1

Le 2014-12-29 22:29, fantasai a écrit :
> On 12/27/2014 11:45 AM, Gérard Talbot wrote:
>> Le 2014-12-25 10:27, 塩澤 元 a écrit :
>>> Hi Gérard,
>>>
>>> I have reviewed the following test.
>>>  - block-flow-direction-001.xht ~ block-flow-direction-022.xht
>>>  - line-box-direction-001.xht ~ line-box-direction-020.xht
>>>
>>> Here is comments for these test.
>>>
>>> 1.
>>> Some test-cases specify another specification's ref-file
>>> (/css-multicol-1/multicol-count-002-ref.xht) as its ref-file.
>>> I think that it is better to make a new ref-file (or copy) in
>>> css-writing-modes-3 directory.
>>
>> Hajime,
>>
>> We discussed this in
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-css-testsuite/2014Nov/0039.html
>>
>> I think we eventually should filename-rename
>> multicol-count-002-ref.xht
>> as
>> ref-yellow-PASS-on-black.xht
>> or some filename like that and then move that file into
>> http://test.csswg.org/source/css21/reference/
>> with other frequently reused reference files.
>
> I agree with Hajime on this one, I don't think it's good to reference
> a reference file inside a different test suite.  But I also agree with
> Gérard, it would be good to have this as a common test reference. In
> that case, however, I think it would go in a top-level reference
> folder,
> like the common support files are in a top-level support folder.

That is another thing: frequently reused reference files should be out
of /css21 and into a top-level folder.

>>> 2.
>>> All test-case uses 'yellow' and 'black' color.
>>> I think that it is better to use 'green' and 'blue' because these
>>> makes
>>> positive impression.
>>
>> Ideally, you want to use green color and restrict using green color if
>> and only if red indicates failure. Green color should
>> be restricted in tests where failures will be indicated by red color.
>
> This is true, and I think Hixie tended to use the color-combination of
> blue and yellow for such cases. Black is, I agree, a bit too intense
> here. :) We also tend to use black for descriptive text, so it's good
> to have a different color than black for the actual test rendering.

I will do a "search and replace" black -> blue edition for the tests
using a big yellow PASS word then.

>>> 3.
>>> I think that it is better to add information to title in some
>>> test-case.
>>>
>>> - block-flow-direction-005.xht, block-flow-direction-006.xht
>>> before: CSS Writing Modes Test: float and 'vertical-rl' - block flow
>>> direction of block-level boxes
>>> after: CSS Writing Modes Test: float*-left* and 'vertical-rl' - block
>>> flow
>>> direction of block-level boxes
>>>
>>> - block-flow-direction-007.xht, block-flow-direction-007.xht
>>> before: CSS Writing Modes Test: float and 'vertical-lr' - block flow
>>> direction of block-level boxes
>>> after: CSS Writing Modes Test: float*-right* and 'vertical-lr' -
>>> block flow
>>> direction of block-level boxes
>>>
>>> - line-box-direction-005.xht, line-box-direction-006.xht
>>> before: CSS Writing Modes Test: float and 'vertical-rl' - ordering
>>> direction of line boxes
>>> after: CSS Writing Modes Test: float*-left* and 'vertical-rl' -
>>> ordering
>>> direction of line boxes
>>>
>>> - line-box-direction-007.xht, line-box-direction-008.xht
>>> before: CSS Writing Modes Test: float and 'vertical-lr' - ordering
>>> direction of line boxes
>>> after: CSS Writing Modes Test: float*-right* and 'vertical-lr' -
>>> ordering
>>> direction of line boxes
>>
>> I am not sure why specifying the float value is or would be important
>> in the title. The float value is specified in the assert
>> text and in the code. Normally, we want title text to be as short as
>> possible while at the same time to be descriptive.
>>
>> "
>> The title is descriptive but not too wordy.
>> "
>> http://testthewebforward.org/docs/review-checklist.html#reftests-only
>>
>> "
>> The title appears in the generated index, so make sure it is concise,
>> unique and descriptive. The role of the title is to
>> identify what specific detail of a feature or combination of features
>> is being tested, so that someone looking through an
>> index can see quickly what's tested in which file. In most cases, this
>> description should not require more than 5 or 6 words.
>> There is no need to provide the chapter or section in the title.
>> "
>> https://wiki.csswg.org/test/format#title-element
>>

>> By the way, I use 'float: left' with 'vertical-rl' and 'float: right'
>> with 'vertical-lr'; in order to make a test suite
>> coverage more complete and thorough, we probably should test both
>> float values for each vertical writing-mode values ...
>>
>> Anyway, I will add the float value in the title, as you suggested.
>
> The title should be as concise as possible, but it also needs to be
> sufficiently descriptive to uniquely identify the test. So, as short
> as possible -- but no shorter!
>
> Also, title should just say "CSS Test:", not "CSS Writing Modes Test:".

Having "Writing Modes" written like in "CSS Writing Modes Test: (...)"
is descriptive and contributes to make the test unique: then, eg., I do
not have to edit 'writing-mode' in the rest of the title, just
'vertical-rl' or 'vertical-lr'.

> We decided not to include the module name to keep it shorter.

This is news to me. I can read
<title>${1:Test area}: ${2:Scope of test}</title>
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/test-templates.html#reftest-including-metadata
...which is a bit criptic to me.

Gérard

--