Re: [css3-multicol] Review of multicol-block-clip-001

Le Mer 24 juillet 2013 19:43, Håkon Wium Lie a écrit :
> Also sprach "Gérard Talbot":
>
>  > http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/opera/submitted/multicol/multicol-block-clip-001.xht
>  >
>  > The test uses 7 rules and 25 declarations. After removing the
> unneeded
>  > ones, I propose this replacement:
>  >
>  > http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/multicol-block-clip-001-GT.xht
>  >
>  > which uses 5 rules and 15 declarations.
>
> Good!
>
>  > One mystery for me (I spent quite some time on this) is
>  >
>  >   orphans: 1;
>  >   widows: 1;
>  >
>  > declarations. If I unchecked 'orphans: 1' in Opera 12.16, then the
>  > layout changes. I have no idea what orphans and widows declarations
> are
>  > doing in all the multi-col tests since media, by default, is screen
> and
>  > orphans and widows apply only to page media. *_This seems like a bug
>  > me._*
>
> You're right that CSS 2.1 specifies that widows/orphans only apply to
> paged media.
>
> However, it makes a lot of sense to also make widows/orphans apply in
> i multicol layouts -- even in non-paged media, no? Probably, the
> multicol spec should address this.

orphans : "minimum number of lines in a block container that must be
left at the bottom of a page."
So, how would (or could or should) this apply to the test in paged media
anyway? I am more tempted to remove 'orphans: 1' and 'widows: 1' than to
keep those.

When I had the vendor-prefix and when in print preview, Chrome
28.0.1500.71 fails the test regardless of the widows and orphans
declarations.

If the test is supposed to be tested also in page media, then we should
create another test and then add the "paged" flag to such test. As is,
this test should be passed or failed in screen media. Whether the test
passes or fails in paged media really should be in another separate,
distinct test.

This issue is important to agree on because a wide majority of tests
declare 'orphans: 1' and 'widows: 1'.

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: