Re: "Images must be in PNG format"

On Apr 18, 2012, at 11:57 AM, fantasai wrote:

> On 04/18/2012 10:04 AM, Chris Lilley wrote:
>> On Wednesday, April 18, 2012, 6:54:22 PM, Dirk wrote:
>>
>> DS>  Hi,
>>
>> DS>  I just saw that the Wiki for creating ref tests says: "Images
>> DS>  must be in PNG format."[1]. Can we be less strict here and allow
>> DS>  for instance SVG files as images as well?
>>
>> This is clearly needed, since some tests require a non-raster image whose size etc depends on the computation of viewports.
>>
>> And there are already tests that use SVG.
>
> Yes, SVG should be allowed. But only where a vector image is needed, as
> not all CSS implementations support SVG.
This is a vague definition :( For instance what about a test like this: http://hg.csswg.org/test/file/tip/contributors/aryehgregor/submitted/transform-background-005.html/

The test itself has nothing to do with SVG and it uses the flag SVG. Should it use a PNG instead?

Dirk

PS: I am always for using SVG as a replacement for bitmapped images where possible. So don't necessarily take my voice into account. :)