Re: "Images must be in PNG format"

On 04/18/2012 10:04 AM, Chris Lilley wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 18, 2012, 6:54:22 PM, Dirk wrote:
>
> DS>  Hi,
>
> DS>  I just saw that the Wiki for creating ref tests says: "Images
> DS>  must be in PNG format."[1]. Can we be less strict here and allow
> DS>  for instance SVG files as images as well?
>
> This is clearly needed, since some tests require a non-raster image whose size etc depends on the computation of viewports.
>
> And there are already tests that use SVG.

Yes, SVG should be allowed. But only where a vector image is needed, as
not all CSS implementations support SVG.

> I suspect the restriction was to stop people unadvisedly using JPEG for sharp-edged raster images? If so, it should say that explicitly.

We're not testing image formats here, so we picked one that was widely
supported and had what we needed (e.g. sharp edges, transparency).
There are non-browser implementations that use the CSS test suites;
"there's cross-browser support" and "I feel like it" is not reason enough
to allow other choices.

The tools do some image-format munging in the XHTML for Printers output,
and could do so for other output formats as well if there are markets
that need a version of the test suite using e.g. GIF.