Re: [RC5] character-encoding-038 invalid

Hixie, got a question, see below?

On 01/14/2011 03:22 PM, Peter Linss wrote:

> On Jan 14, 2011, at 12:58 PM, Alan Gresley wrote:
>
>> On 15/01/2011 7:24 AM, Peter Linss wrote:
>>> I believe there are a few problems with this test.
>>>
>>> First, the only style possibilities for the test paragraphs are white
>>> text on a green background versus white text on a green background. I
>>> presume it's trying to test for the application of the rule in the
>>> linked stylesheet but there would be no visible effect either way.
>>>
>>> Second, I'm trying to figure out if this test requires http or not (and
>>> exactly what for that matter this test is trying to test), I'm guessing
>>> the rule in the linked style sheet is NOT supposed to match anything? It
>>> it relying on the linked stylesheet being served as utf-8? (the server's
>>> default, as there is no explicit encoding set on that file) Why does the
>>> title state "malformed UTF-8"? Either something's missing here or I'm
>>> not getting it...
>>

>> The external stylesheet CSS [1] has this
>>
>> .t�st { color: white; background: green; }
>>
>> I presume that � is malformed CSS. Each class of each <p> has a string
>> of class"t(Unicode)st". These are the Unicode characters.
>>
>> é ้ щ ى ι י И
>>

>> 1.
>> <http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101210/html4/support/character-encoding-038.css>
>>

> The external stylesheet is:
> .tést { color: white; background: green; }
>
> if interpreted as ISO-8859-1 encoding. Which I take to mean that the
> stylesheet needs to be served via http with the explicit encoding of
> utf-8, so that it does NOT match any of the content. (Meaning the
> stylesheet is malformed utf-8, which explains the title.)
>
> So I presume the stylesheet should be updated to be:
> .t�st { color: yellow; background: red; }
>
> and the test does in fact need the 'http' flag (which I already added).

Hixie's server does not serve the original CSS up with a charset parameter,
although it does set UTF-8 for the HTML file, so I don't think we should
be serving a UTF-8 header for this. (According to CSS2.1, the style sheet
must be treated as UTF-8 even without the header: see [1].)

I do agree that the style sheet needs to be setting a red background,
though, because right now there appears no way for it to fail.

What I don't understand is what to do with the rest of the <p class="t*st">s,
since there doesn't seem to be anything that could potentially trigger a
failure on those, either.

Hixie, do you remember how the rest of this test was supposed to fail?
   http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/css/parsing/encoding/008.html

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#charset