Re: 2022-2026 Verifiable Data Standards Roadmap [DRAFT]

For what it is worth my comment about "othering" is a general thing that is
happening all over in many organizations and by many people it was not a
comment about any one individual.

At Trust Over IP - and before the pandemic I strongly suggested that they
get their core members to go on a "listening tour" to talk to key community
members/people not in Trust Over IP - the pandemic happened - the listening
tour didn't happen. But the reason for the suggestion was not dis-similar a
lack of understanding of where others were coming from and judgement
without knowing more.

Just yesterday in a different conversation - someone was telling me about
how Organization X couldn't have people who really cared about marginalized
people because person Y had a part in creating organization Z that
preceded it the creation of Organization X.

I pointed out this was othering too...

I would strongly encourage people who are on this list who have never gone
to a meeting at Trust over IP or at DIF to actually just look at their
calendars and pick a meeting that might be interesting and go.  If you
don't like one - try another - just to get out of the box a little bit.

Both of these orgs - permit anyone to listen to calls (you can say hello
too) unless you have signed their IPR you can't "substatively contribute".
It is worth noting their IPR regimes are quite similar to what you sign to
contribute to the W3C (however of course have your lawyer actually look if
that matters to you))

Each of them have some version of a "all hands meeting" each month.

Here is a summary of the different groups at DIF
https://identity.foundation/#wgs
Here is the DIF calendar link

https://calendar.google.com/calendar/u/0/r?cid=ZGVjZW50cmFsaXplZC5pZGVudGl0eUBnbWFpbC5jb20
All Hands meeting is the last Wednesday of the month 11-12 Eastern.

ToIP "working group activity page"
https://trustoverip.org/get-involved/working-group-activity/
Here is the ToIP Calendar Link:
https://wiki.trustoverip.org/display/HOME/Calendar+of+ToIP+Meetings
All Members meeting 1-2 Eastern on the third Wednesday

if you wanted to go farther a field but still active neighbors - there is
the Kantara Initiative <https://kantarainitiative.org/>, Open Identity
Exchange
<https://openidentityexchange.org/members/anon/new.html?destination=%2Findex.html>
and  OpenID Foundation <https://openid.net/foundation/> - also have
calendars and active work with relevance.

Of course there are things that compete happening like the GAIN
<https://openid.net/2022/03/02/introducing-the-global-assured-identity-network-gain-proof-of-concept-community-group/>
work proposing a kind of super openID federation to manage trust globally.
Then there are folks at ToIP trying to build out decentralized trust
registries for various use-cases

I could go on about the wider landscape we are in.... it also contains two
open source projects aimed at the global south that could have SSI
components in them - if we were stratigic as a community - work could be
done to get them to implement SSI modules/components.  MOSIP
<https://mosip.io/> - Modular Open Source Identity Platform and OpenCRVS
<https://www.opencrvs.org/> (civil registration and vital statistics) by
Plan International.

There is the Me2B Alliance <https://me2ba.org/>and the Vendor
Relationship Management <https://cyber.harvard.edu/node/93484>list,
Digital Identity and Authentication Council of Canada <https://diacc.ca/> and
ID2020 <https://diacc.ca/>(just about to re-org with one ED leaving and
them hiring a new one)
IEEE - has its 7000 series

So I hope this inspires some folks to get out and meet the neighbors.
Talk to the humans. Ask questions. Learn more.

- Kaliya