Re: The "self-sovereign" problem (was: The SSI protocols challenge)

Michael, the definition is in the first sentence of Chapter 1:

Self-sovereign identity—commonly abbreviated SSI—is a new model for digital
> identity on the internet: i.e., how we prove who we are to the websites,
> services, and apps with which we need to establish trusted relationships to
> access or protect pri- vate information.

That broad definition was a deliberate choice on behalf of Alex Preukschat
and I as co-authors of the book. SSI is a digital identity model (not just
an architectural model, but also a governance model) that is significantly
different than in the digital identity models of the previous two eras of
Internet trust infrastructure, per this diagram that I now show at the
start of all my talks on SSI and ToIP to establish the overall context.

[image: image.png]