From: Drummond Reed <drummond.reed@evernym.com>
Date: Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 12:59 PM
To: "Michael Herman (Trusted Digital Web)" <mwherman@parallelspace.net>
Cc: sankarshan <sankarshan@dhiway.com>, "W3C Credentials CG (Public List)" <public-credentials@w3.org>
Subject: Re: The "self-sovereign" problem (was: The SSI protocols challenge)

Michael, the definition is in the first sentence of Chapter 1:

Self-sovereign identity—commonly abbreviated SSI—is a new model for digital identity on the internet: i.e., how we prove who we are to the websites, services, and apps with which we need to establish trusted relationships to access or protect pri- vate information.

That broad definition was a deliberate choice on behalf of Alex Preukschat and I as co-authors of the book. SSI is a digital identity model (not just an architectural model, but also a governance model) that is significantly different than in the digital identity models of the previous two eras of Internet trust infrastructure, per this diagram that I now show at the start of all my talks on SSI and ToIP to establish the overall context.

[cid:image001.png@01D72001.5BEA8030]