RE: How much extra in terms of Cost of Living are you willing to pay to be able to continue to exercise Self-Sovereign control over your personal data?

I'm not sure how that is in other countries; in the Netherlands various insurance companies offer discounts of up to 35% discount on your premium if you agree to share your driving habits (collected through a dongle or a smartphone app). The Duthc consumerorganization has a (Dutch) article<https://www.consumentenbond.nl/autoverzekering/korting-voor-je-rijstijl> (Google Translate may be your friend here) explaining the consequences (including that such data may be subpoena'd by police). While the idea is that 'safe drivers' get a discount, the premium over which the discount is applied is higher than a regular/equivalent policy.

Since data appears to have many uses beyond the consumer's imagination, there is a case to be made for purpose binding (as mentioned in the GDPR), and technology/protocols to be developed that contribute to the enforcement thereof.

Rieks

From: Michael Herman (Trusted Digital Web) <mwherman@parallelspace.net>
Sent: dinsdag 10 augustus 2021 03:07
To: public-credentials (public-credentials@w3.org) <public-credentials@w3.org>
Subject: How much extra in terms of Cost of Living are you willing to pay to be able to continue to exercise Self-Sovereign control over your personal data?

My car insurance renewal comes up next month and I received this "offer" from my local insurance agent:

[cid:image001.jpg@01D78DC0.94714F10]
Wawanesa doesn't explain how or why they need a person's credit score.  A little digging unearths this gem of an article:
https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/why-do-car-insurance-companies-base-their-rates-on-credit-scores/

Also:

  *   https://www.wawanesa.com/resources/docs/canada/NS_CreditConsent_CustomerFAQ-en_13Jan2021-FIN.pdf
  *   https://www.cbc.ca/news/credit-scores-can-hike-home-insurance-rates-1.890442

How much extra in terms of Cost of Living are you willing to pay to be able to continue to exercise Self-Sovereign control over your personal data?

Best regards,
Michael Herman
Far Left Self-Sovereignist

Self-Sovereign Blockchain Architect