Re: Zoom is shite

Just wanted to ask a question about the Jitsi effort...

Has anyone discussed the possibility of dogfooding VCs and DIDs in
Jitsi? This would be much easier than trying to integrate with Zoom as
an initial pilot.

My feeling is that a robust open source WebRTC based webinar solution,
that's free and leveraging tokenomics in some way - but more
importantly, really nails the UX for VC/DIDs - would be a great way to
showcase the upside potential of decentralization.

Moses

On 10/27/20 8:50 AM, Manu Sporny wrote:
> On 10/27/20 6:08 AM, Yancy wrote:
>> The majority of responses from community and _not_ from leadership have
>> been in favor of _not_ using Zoom.  I think the current work done by
>> volunteers to deploy the current Jitsi solution is awesome, and I hope
>> the spirit will not be lost by "temporarily" switching back to Zoom.
> I'd like to add to Ryan, Amy, and Yancy's concerns while underscoring
> what I believe the Chairs are attempting to achieve.
>
> I am 100% committed to fixing the W3C CCGs teleconference
> infrastructure. I've personally put in hundreds of hours over the past
> decade putting the previous 3 iterations of the system in place, and
> over 70 hours of work into rewriting the latest Jitsi-based iteration. I
> will happily continue to put in the effort as long as we're committed to
> build inclusive, open-standards based solutions upon which to do our work.
>
> The new Chairs set inclusivity and responsiveness to the needs of the
> community as a goal, which I take seriously.
>
> To be crystal clear, I am strongly opposed to Zoom as a long-term
> solution for this community group. We are here to build open standards
> and it looks hypocritical for us to do so using proprietary technology
> if there is a viable alternative.
>
> At the same time, the Chairs and most of the community want tools that
> help us have an effective meeting first and foremost, and prioritize
> that over using open standards to hold those meetings.
>
> With that in mind, I did request that the Chairs hold this weeks (and
> possibly next weeks) meeting on Zoom because Jitsi not enabling 20% of
> the people behind aggressive firewalls to join the meeting via their
> choice of browser will lead to distrust in our infrastructure. People
> don't like it when things don't "just work".
>
> Yes, the people that couldn't join via Jitsi always have the option to
> join via IRC and via phone, but there would be complaints resulting in
> something akin to the flip side of this thread: "Why do we have to use
> Jitsi when it doesn't work for everyone!? Aren't we excluding a part of
> the community?! What, I have to use a *phone*!?!"
>
> Just voicing an opinion as a member of this community. I'll send a
> separate email wrt. the status of the upgrade and expected timeline.

*Moses Ma | Managing Partner*

moses.ma@futurelabconsulting.com | moses@futurelab.ventures |
moses@ngenven.com

v+1.415.568.1068 | skype mosesma | /linktr.ee/moses.tao/
<http://linktr.ee/moses.tao>

FutureLab provides strategy, ideation and technology for breakthrough
innovation and third generation blockchains.

Learn more at /www.futurelabconsulting.com/
<http://futurelabconsulting.com>. For calendar invites, please cc:
mosesma@gmail.com

Or whet your appetite by reading /Agile Innovation/
<http://www.amazon.com/Agile-Innovation-Revolutionary-Accelerate-Engagement/dp/B00SSRSZ9A>
<https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Design-Sprint-Application-Disruptive/dp/1799143864>
| my blog at /psychologytoday.com/
<http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-tao-innovation>.

NOTICE TO RECIPIENT: THIS E-MAIL IS MEANT FOR ONLY THE INTENDED
RECIPIENT OF THE TRANSMISSION. IF YOU RECEIVED THIS E-MAIL IN ERROR, ANY
REVIEW, USE, DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, OR COPYING OF THIS E-MAIL IS
STRICTLY PROHIBITED. PLEASE NOTIFY THE SENDER IMMEDIATELY OF THE ERROR
BY RETURN E-MAIL AND PLEASE DELETE THIS MESSAGE FROM YOUR SYSTEM. THIS
EMAIL SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED BINDING; HARD COPY DOCUMENTS ARE REQUIRED
TO CREATE LEGALLY BINDING COMMITMENTS. FOR CALENDAR INVITES, PLEASE CC:
MOSESMA@GMAIL.COM