Re: Zoom is shite

On 10/26/20 2:31 PM, Heather Vescent wrote:
> For me, this is about practicality and accessibility, not technological
> fundamentalism. It's about enabling the chairs and the community to most
> effectively make positive change in the future of credentials, wallets,
> DIDs, VCs, SSI, e.g. the topic at hand.

If folks want to see what a Zoom-based future looks like, you only have
to look at how the DIF SDS WG's transcripts and recordings are going:

Entire meetings missing transcripts, no transcripts being sent to W3C
CCG mailing list (a joint partner in that work effort):

https://lists.identity.foundation/g/sds-wg/wiki/23488
https://lists.identity.foundation/g/sds-wg/wiki/23489
https://lists.identity.foundation/g/sds-wg/wiki/23480
https://lists.identity.foundation/g/sds-wg/wiki/23011
https://lists.identity.foundation/g/sds-wg/wiki/22693

Entire meeting recordings and transcripts missing:

https://lists.identity.foundation/g/sds-wg/wiki/23066
https://lists.identity.foundation/g/sds-wg/wiki/22687

... and all of those recordings and transcripts are on proprietary
infrastructure that could disappear tomorrow (no backups).

That is no way to build an open standard.

To be clear, I'm not throwing shade at the DIF SDS WG Chairs or DIF...
they're doing their best with what they have. That said, those
transparency gaps are what not having the proper infrastructure and
humans involved at every step of the process leads to. That is what our
future looks like if we switch to Zoom permanently.

We need infrastructure that helps us run meetings AND record what
happened in those meetings for archival, accessibility, and intellectual
property release purposes. Zoom only solves part of the equation and
will never get us to something that's fully automated. Jitsi provides a
path forward for full automation... but it'll take time and effort to
get there.

https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches