Re: Proposed work item: did:key DID Method

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 at 20:03, Orie Steele <orie@transmute.industries> wrote:

> Yes, those proof purpose methods are problematic because of lack of
> documentation... There is some related discussion here:
>
> https://github.com/w3c/did-core/issues/2
>
> TL;DR; IMO, we need to make sure we are providing human readable
> documentation for every context change we make to did-core JSON-LD context
> moving forward... It's hard to rally people around the use of
> capabilityInvocation, when there is very little to read on the subject.
>
> One of the core challenges we are facing regarding interop is a lack of
> conformance regarding proof purposes, and that's why the issue I linked is
> so critical.
>
> Until we have multiple did methods supporting the same proof purposes, and
> leveraging them in for interoperability, everything interop (even
> authentication) is mostly theoretical.
>
> I recently added support for these proof purposes to github-did (our
> centralized testing method), here is an example leveraging assertionMethod
> <https://github-did.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>...
> note his link will likely break the next time I rotate keys for
> did:github:OR13.
>
> So in summary, did:key, did:v1 and did:github all support these proof
> purposes today, but we really need to document them in order to encourage
> others to add support.

Going through various docs I found :

    keyAgreement
        The keyAgreement key is a Curve25519 public key (suitable for
Diffie-Hellman key exchange) that is deterministically derived from the
source Ed25519 key, using ed2curve-js.

I still dont quite understand what these terms mean :

    assertionMethod
    capabilityDelegation
    capabilityInvocation

Ive collected the following links

    DID Method Key : https://digitalbazaar.github.io/did-method-key/
    Linked Data Proofs : <
https://w3c-dvcg.github.io/ld-proofs/#proof-purpose
    LD Cryptosuite registry : <
https://w3c-ccg.github.io/ld-cryptosuite-registry/
    VC data model : <https://www.w3.org/TR/vc-data-model/
    DID core : https://w3c.github.io/did-core/

Is it contained in any of these, or a different document.  Or is it not yet
written up?