Re: Techniques do not apply

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 4:44 PM, <noreply@w3.org> wrote:

> Name: Duff Johnson
> Email: djohnson@commonlook.com
> Affiliation: NetCentric Technologies
> Document: W2
> Item Number: Success Criterion 3.2.3
> Part of Item:
> Comment Type: technical
> Summary of Issue: Techniques do not apply
> As with the comment to 2.4.8, a PDF page is not the same as a web-page per
> the WCAG definition of web page (as referenced in the SC itself). This SC
> is a bad fit for PDF in any event.
>
> The analogy (if any) is to the PDF *document*, not the "page" as specified
> in the SC. Accordingly, PDF14 and PDF17 do not apply.
>
> Proposed Change:
> Remove PDF14 and PDF17.

Since the entire PDF document has a single URL, you are correct that the
Success Criteria 2.4.8 is not met by these techniques. One of the other,
general sufficient techniques would be used if the PDF document is one of a
larger set of web pages. Since providing location information within a long
PDF document will still be useful to people, we have retained them as
advisory techniques.