Re: I feel that the 2 sufficient techniques should be 'and' not 'or'.

OK, I give up.  I'd always thought that the guidelines were there to help
all disabled people with electronic access needs, not to just help those who
are also extremely techno-savvy.

I class myself as techno-savvy, but I would never have thought of searching
for browser extensions.

And you can't rely on disabled people having access to the kind of support
that would know about these.  Nor can you rely on their employers allowing
them to be downloaded onto work machines.

Come to that, these only seem to apply to Firefox (and Opera has it built
in), so what about those stuck with IE?

I've now downloaded the Firefox toolbar and can't make it work.  I've no
idea how to make the keybindings function, simply pressing the letter does
nothing.  (Also tried combined with shift, alt and Ctrl in various
combinations - the help website doesn't explain.)

As for greesemonkey, following the links from the page you gave eventually
takes me through to www.greasespot.net - which promptly crashes Firefox!!!
I tried it three times and it crashed Firefox every time (I'm on 7.0.1).

Now if me, who is techno-savvy, is having these problems, what about all
those out there who have electronic access needs but don't have access to
technical help and support, so I say yet again, this should be an 'and' not
an 'or' - or split it into two guidelines, or make it two separate
requirements like 1.4.8.

Right now I'd like some help in how to make the downloads you recommend
actually work!!!

And as a side note, I'm not overly impressed with the FF toolbar.  When I do
the Accessibility report using the FAE rule set, it fails my archery web
site 'Fail: Each page must have a lang attribute on its html element whose
value or initial subtag is a valid two-character language code.'  When the
html tag actually reads '<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang
="en" >' and passes the w3c HTML validator.  And if I go onto the BETA rules
it rather cleverly warns me that 'Contrast ratio is below the optimal
acceptable level (7:1)'.  I say that is rather clever as I've written that
web site to C25, ie no specified text, link and background colours.

Sheena