Is the resource "Pick a heading" sending out the right message

From: WCAG 2.0 Comment Form <nobody@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 19:10:27 +0000 (GMT)
To: public-comments-wcag20@w3.org

Name: Bim Egan
Email: Bim.Egan@rnib.org.uk
Affiliation: RNIB
Document: TD
Item Number: H42
Part of Item: Resources
Comment Type: question
Summary of Issue: Is the resource "Pick a heading" sending out the right message
Heading structure is one of the most important accessibility issues for people who use screen readers, especially those who can't see the screen at all.  A lack of clear guidance in WCAG 1.0 and HTML specifications has resulted in a wide debate on what constitutes an accessible heading structure.

Eric Myers's article "Pick a heading" does nothing to help web authors decide on a rational heading structure, and may well continue the debate and confusion. Is this a suitable resource?

Proposed Change:
Suggested alternative:

Quick tips for accessible headings

http://www.rnib.org.uk/wacblog/headings/quick-tips-for-accessible-headings/

At RNIB we have listened to the views of countless blind people, and give clear guidance on how to use H1 to H6, so that heading structure gives a clear overview of the page content.   In fact our recommendations describe the way that heading structure is implemented in most W3C documents.