Re: Editorial problems - German translation

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 4:34 AM, WCAG 2.0 Comment Form <nobody@w3.org> wrote:

> Name: Aktionsbuendnis fuer barrierefreie Informationstechnik
> Email: jk@ftb-net.de
> Affiliation:
> Document: W2
> Item Number: (none selected)
> Part of Item:
> Comment Type: editorial
> Summary of Issue: Editorial problems - German translation
> During the process of translating the WCAG 2.0, we encountered a few wording problems. Shadi asked me to hand them in.
>

> label:
>
> We don't have a word in German that completely equals the meaning of label, so we'll use the English term.
>

> programmatically determined:
>
> Our quesition is, whether this term is meant as an active or a passive roll.
>

> Video-only:
>
> In German, we don't use the word "Nur-Video" what's the 1:1-translation.
>

> Audio-only
>
> Same problem as mentioned under video-only.
>

> Captions
>
> There's no difference between captions and subtitles, so we decided to use the English term.
>

> set of Web pages
>
> We do need a little more explanation here. Is set of webpages really meant to be webpages which are related only by author or organisation. So if the pages are on different websites, they do still count as set of Web pages?
>

> Proposed Change:
> None, but we do need a little further explanation on a few of our translation problems.

label:
We don't have a word in German that completely equals the meaning of
label so we'll use the English term.

Reply from Working Group:

OK

----------------------------

programmatically determined:

Our question is whether this term is meant as an active or a passive roll.

Reply from Working Group:

This is passive in that the information and relationships must be
explicitly represented in the data. Whether user agents and assistive
technology actively use this information is a question of
accessibility support for the technology.

----------------------------
Video-only:

In German we don't use the word "Nur-Video" what's the 1:1-translation.

Reply from Working Group:

Video-only means "Only video content with no audio or interaction".

----------------------------

Audio-only

Same problem as mentioned under video-only.

Reply from Working Group:

 Audio-only means "Only audio content with no video or interaction".

----------------------------

Captions

There's no difference between captions and subtitles so we decided to
use the English term.

Reply from Working Group:

OK. This seems to be a problem unique to English-speaking cultures.

set of Web pages

We do need a little more explanation here. Is set of Web pages really
meant to be Web pages which are related only by author or
organisation. So if the pages are on different websites they do still
count as set of Web pages?

Reply from Working Group:

They could be on different Web sites or servers but they must have a
common purpose.