Re: CDR: pointer event description vs. z-order

On Monday 2006-01-02 01:49 -0800, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> "The target element for pointer device events is established by first
> determining the most deeply nested child document which has content
> that intersects with the geometric (x,y) location of the event"
>
> - This excludes z-ordering. Therefore it seems to claim that, for
> instance, a click on a portion of a parent document that overlaps
> included child content should go through to the child content. This
> is contrary to behavior of many current UAs.

In our face-to-face meeting, the group decided to change the quoted
sentence to:

  The target element for pointer device events is the topmost object in
  the paint order at the pointer location.

A slight addendum of my own, not from the group:  Now that I notice we
were editing based on only the first part of the quoted sentence;
preserving the more detailed part of the end of the sentence "that
intersects with the geometric (x,y) location of the event" might be
preferable, but I'd consider the difference editorial.  Although now
that I'm looking at that I'm not sure whether this sentence is trying to
determine which document gets the events or which element gets the
events, and that distinction should probably be clear.

I'd also note that this doesn't resolve any differences in the way SVG
and HTML+CSS define paint order (particularly with whether
'visibility:hidden' elements receive events).

-David