Re: Password role proposal: Freedom Scientific response

> to tell the screen reader that this is a password field that the screen
reader should treat differently

...and I believe right there is the problem. What if it's *not* a password
(enhanced) field? What if, through error or malice a developer "tells" the
screen reader that an input is a password, but it's a password field in
name alone? What if it's just this:

or this:

<input type="text" role="password" class="js_fake_blur">
Previously, when you used < input type="password">, behaviors, both
visually and also programmatically where modified by the browser: for
example, you cannot copy the content you've supplied into a password field
and paste it elsewhere, characters are obscured on screen, etc. The current
proposal addresses how a screen reader echos back what you are typing when
you invoke this ARIA attribute, but none of the other expected behaviors
will be present (but you won't know that).

Rich has suggested that my concern is "over the top", that no developer is
going to write code to specifically target non-sighted users (nobody on the
internet would be that uncaring, that mean, that evil), but I remain
unconvinced of his unicorn and rainbows response - I fear that there will
indeed be a bad actor out there that will look for ways to exploit this.

Matt, if we want to tell screen readers that a form input is 'different'
and that it is treated differently, we need some form of assurance that it
is indeed being treated differently by the browsers as well as the screen
reader - I assert anything less is likely a security problem waiting to
happen.

We are still waiting for a more formal review from the web security folks
at the W3C.

JF

--
John Foliot