RE: Risks the password role does create

From: John Foliot [mailto:john.foliot@deque.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 6:47 PM

In a perfect world, when browsers address this crater of a hole (type="password") through tightened security restrictions, it would be awesome that the role of password would also get the same treatment. Ideally, an author could use *that* role value to actually impart the behaviour natively in the browser (rather than depending on custom scripting to do the obfuscation part), so that role="password" is the 'one-stop-solution' that both delivered the on-screen functionality, drove the AAPI, and locked-down the input-string all in one.
[Jason] We need better security mechanisms than passwords. I know I’m not alone in having far too many to remember, so they’re stored in password managers. Biometrics present their own accessibility challenges, but they’re a better solution than passwords. Let’s take this up in the Research Questions Task Force if APA concurs.

Thank you for your compliance.