Re: Risks the password role does create

Sure, which is to say that currently the ability to exploit a password
input (whether native or custom) is trivial today, and I think a very scary
thought. While I struggle with us adding an ARIA role that partially
facilitates the ability to extend a false sense of security to additional
inputs, it's true that the role value itself isn't the real culprit, it's
HTML password inputs in general that are scary.

In a perfect world, when browsers address this crater of a hole
(type="password") through tightened security restrictions, it would be
awesome that the role of password would also get the same treatment.
Ideally, an author could use *that* role value to actually impart the
behaviour natively in the browser (rather than depending on custom
scripting to do the obfuscation part), so that role="password" is the
'one-stop-solution' that both delivered the on-screen functionality, drove
the AAPI, and locked-down the input-string all in one.

We can dream, can't we?

JF

--
John Foliot