W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-apa-admin@w3.org > August 2022

Re: IMPORTANT: Updated Call for Consensus (CfC): Horizontal Review of WCAG 2.2

From: Todd Libby <toddlibby@protonmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 17:51:21 +0000
To: "Janina Sajka (janina@rednote.net)" <janina@rednote.net>, public-apa-admin@w3.org
Message-ID: <ALVJ-jA8faxb-jDcPjymSEUh6Vl-hnlNY93Vm1RDLX7OFKzkTPR2in-NvBu3A-LYVauqkXCWzikxn_dp4qA6I7IXCvQNp6Mkk6EFQ085J-c=@protonmail.com>
+1

---
Best,

Todd

On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 09:50, Janina Sajka (janina@rednote.net) <janina@rednote.net> wrote:

> This Call for Consensus is reissued to correct my copy and paste error in the original CfC. Please confirm by voting again.
>
> The error was noted during our weekly teleconference on Wednesday 24 August:
>
> https://www.w3.org/2022/08/24-apa-minutes.html#t03
>
> A "Corrected Proposed Disposition" and a "Revised Action to Take" sections follow. The "Background" section in the original CfC is confirmed accurate.
>
> ***Corrected Proposed Disposition***
>
> APA requests AGWG remove the first word, "Sometimes," from Sec. 5.4 of the WCAG 2.2 Candidate Recommendation draft document (and use no quantitative term whatsoever) as suggested on github here:
>
> https://github.com/w3c/wcag/issues/2305#issuecomment-1209655125
>
> Thus, Sec. 5.4 would begin with an initial sentence that reads:
>
> "Web pages are created that will later have additional content added to them."
>
> ***Revised Action to Take***
>
> This CfC is now open for objection, comment, as well as statements of support via email. Silence will be interpreted as support, though messages of support are certainly welcome.
>
> If you object to this proposed action, or have comments concerning this proposal, please respond by replying on list to this message no later than 23:59 (Midnight) Boston Time, Monday 29 August.
>
> NOTE: This Call for Consensus is being conducted in accordance with the APA Decision Policy published at:
>
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/decision-policy
>
> Janina and Matthew
>
> Janina Sajka writes:
>> Colleagues:
>>
>> This is a Call for Consensus (CfC) to the Accessible Platform
>> Architectures (APA) Working Group formally testing for group consensus
>> regarding our proposed disposition of our WCAG 2.2 Candidate
>> Recommendation Draft horizontal review. Those of you who have
>> participated in recent APA teleconferences will recognize this as the
>> "Sometimes" question.
>>
>> ***Background***
>>
>> As always with W3C specifications, APA has a horizontal review
>> responsibility which applies to specifications created by other WAI
>> groups just as to any other W3C group. In this context the question of
>> conducting a formal horizontal review of the draft WCAG 2.2 CR was first
>> raised on Wednesday 3 August at the regular weekly APA teleconference,
>> and at the group's request, additional background, quoted below, was
>> provided by email, available at this link:
>>
>> https://www.w3.org/2022/08/03-apa-minutes.html#t12
>>
>> "During our regular teleconference Wednesday 3 August we seemed
>> generally disinclined to take on an in depth review of the pending WCAG
>> 2.2 Candidate Recommendation draft currently in a Call for Consensus in
>> the Accessibility Guidelines Working Group.
>>
>> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2022JulSep/0112.html
>>
>> "However, there was interest in understanding more about a comment
>> characterizing third party content injections as occuring "sometimes" in
>> the section defining Partial Conformance:
>>
>> https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG22/#conformance-partial
>>
>> "We note "sometimes" is the first word in this section. It has been
>> suggested "sometimes" unrealistically understates the lived reality of
>> today's web. The term "increasingly" has been proposed as a better
>> descriptor. That issue discussion is here:
>>
>> https://github.com/w3c/wcag/issues/2305
>>
>> "We agreed to return to this question at our next call Wednesday 10
>> August."
>>
>> Our discussion on Wednesday 10 August is logged here:
>>
>> https://www.w3.org/2022/08/10-apa-minutes.html#t11
>>
>> Our last discussion which leads to this CfC occured during the APA
>> teleconference of Wednesday 17 August and is logged here:
>>
>> https://www.w3.org/2022/08/17-apa-minutes.html#t09
>>
>> APA's following proposed disposition of this issue is taken from the second
>> option suggested by AGWG Co-Chair Alastair as noted next.
>>
>> ***Proposed Disposition***
>>
>> APA requests AGWG remove the first word, "Sometimes," from Sec. 5.4 of
>> the WCAG 2.2 Candidate Recommendation draft document as suggested on
>> github here:
>>
>> https://github.com/w3c/wcag/issues/2305#issuecomment-1209655125
>>
>> Thus, Sec. 5.4 would begin with an initial sentence that reads:
>>
>> "Many Web pages are created that will later have additional content
>> added to them."
>>
>> ***Action to Take***
>>
>> This CfC is now open for objection, comment, as well as statements of
>> support via email. Silence will be interpreted as support, though
>> messages of support are certainly welcome.
>>
>> If you object to this proposed action, or have comments concerning this
>> proposal, please respond by replying on list to this message no later
>> than 23:59 (Midnight) Boston Time, Wednesday 24 August.
>>
>> NOTE: This Call for Consensus is being conducted in accordance with the
>> APA Decision Policy published at:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/decision-policy
>>
>> Janina and Matthew
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>> Janina Sajka
>> https://linkedin.com/in/jsajka
>>
>> The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
>> Co-Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures http://www.w3.org/wai/apa
>>
>
> --
>
> Janina Sajka (she/her/hers)
> Accessibility Consultant https://linkedin.com/in/jsajka
>
> The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
> Co-Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures http://www.w3.org/wai/apa
>
> Linux Foundation Fellow
> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/board-of-directors-2/
Received on Wednesday, 24 August 2022 17:51:42 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Wednesday, 24 August 2022 17:51:43 UTC