W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-apa-admin@w3.org > August 2022

Re: IMPORTANT: Updated Call for Consensus (CfC): Horizontal Review of WCAG 2.2

From: Becky Gibson <gibson.becky@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 13:41:10 -0400
Message-Id: <6AB925EE-D8C0-4C7F-81B9-322C01454816@gmail.com>
Cc: public-apa-admin@w3.org
To: "Janina Sajka (janina@rednote.net)" <janina@rednote.net>
+1
Becky

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 24, 2022, at 12:51 PM, Janina Sajka (janina@rednote.net) <janina@rednote.net> wrote:
> 
> ´╗┐This Call for Consensus is reissued to correct my copy and paste error in the original CfC. Please confirm by voting again.
> 
> The error was noted during our weekly teleconference on Wednesday 24 August:
> 
> https://www.w3.org/2022/08/24-apa-minutes.html#t03
> 
> 
> A "Corrected Proposed Disposition" and a "Revised Action to Take" sections follow. The "Background" section in the original CfC is confirmed accurate.
> 
> ***Corrected Proposed Disposition***
> 
> APA requests AGWG remove the first word, "Sometimes,"  from Sec. 5.4  of the WCAG 2.2 Candidate Recommendation draft document (and use no quantitative term whatsoever) as suggested on github here:
> 
> https://github.com/w3c/wcag/issues/2305#issuecomment-1209655125
> 
> Thus, Sec. 5.4 would begin with an initial sentence that reads:
> 
> "Web pages are created that will later have additional content added to them."
> 
> ***Revised Action to Take***
> 
> This CfC is now open for objection, comment, as well as statements of support via email. Silence will be interpreted as support, though messages of support are certainly welcome.
> 
> If you object to this proposed action, or have comments concerning this proposal, please respond by replying on list to this message no later than 23:59 (Midnight) Boston Time, Monday 29 August.
> 
> NOTE: This Call for Consensus is being conducted in accordance with the APA Decision Policy published at:
> 
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/decision-policy
> 
> Janina and Matthew
> 
> 
> Janina Sajka writes:
>> Colleagues:
>> 
>> This is a Call for Consensus (CfC) to the Accessible Platform
>> Architectures (APA) Working Group formally testing for group consensus
>> regarding our proposed disposition of our WCAG 2.2 Candidate
>> Recommendation Draft horizontal review. Those of you who have
>> participated in recent APA teleconferences will recognize this as the
>> "Sometimes" question.
>> 
>> ***Background***
>> 
>> As always with W3C specifications, APA has a horizontal review
>> responsibility which applies to specifications created by other WAI
>> groups just as to any other W3C group. In this context the question of
>> conducting a formal horizontal review of the draft WCAG 2.2 CR was first
>> raised on Wednesday 3 August at the regular weekly APA teleconference,
>> and at the group's request, additional background, quoted below,  was
>> provided by email, available at this link:
>> 
>> https://www.w3.org/2022/08/03-apa-minutes.html#t12
>> 
>> "During our regular teleconference Wednesday 3 August we seemed
>> generally disinclined to take on an in depth review of the pending WCAG
>> 2.2 Candidate Recommendation draft currently in a Call for Consensus in
>> the Accessibility Guidelines Working Group.
>> 
>> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2022JulSep/0112.html
>> 
>> "However, there was interest in understanding more about a comment
>> characterizing third party content injections as occuring "sometimes" in
>> the section defining Partial Conformance:
>> 
>> https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG22/#conformance-partial
>> 
>> "We note "sometimes" is the first word in this section. It has been
>> suggested "sometimes" unrealistically understates the lived reality of
>> today's web. The term "increasingly" has been proposed as a better
>> descriptor. That issue discussion is here:
>> 
>> https://github.com/w3c/wcag/issues/2305
>> 
>> "We agreed to return to this question at our next call Wednesday 10
>> August."
>> 
>> Our discussion on Wednesday 10 August is logged here:
>> 
>> https://www.w3.org/2022/08/10-apa-minutes.html#t11
>> 
>> Our last discussion which leads to this CfC occured during the APA
>> teleconference of Wednesday 17 August and is logged here:
>> 
>> https://www.w3.org/2022/08/17-apa-minutes.html#t09
>> 
>> APA's following proposed disposition of this issue is taken from the second
>> option suggested by AGWG Co-Chair Alastair as noted next.
>> 
>> ***Proposed Disposition***
>> 
>> APA requests AGWG remove the first word, "Sometimes,"  from Sec. 5.4 of
>> the WCAG 2.2 Candidate Recommendation draft document as suggested on
>> github here:
>> 
>> https://github.com/w3c/wcag/issues/2305#issuecomment-1209655125
>> 
>> Thus, Sec. 5.4 would begin with an initial sentence that reads:
>> 
>> "Many Web pages are created that will later have additional content
>> added to them."
>> 
>> ***Action to Take***
>> 
>> This CfC is now open for objection, comment, as well as statements of
>> support via email. Silence will be interpreted as support, though
>> messages of support are certainly welcome.
>> 
>> If you object to this proposed action, or have comments concerning this
>> proposal, please respond by replying on list to this message no later
>> than 23:59 (Midnight) Boston Time, Wednesday 24 August.
>> 
>> NOTE: This Call for Consensus is being conducted in accordance with the
>> APA Decision Policy published at:
>> 
>> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/decision-policy
>> 
>> Janina and Matthew
>> 
>> 
>> -- 
>> 
>> Janina Sajka
>> https://linkedin.com/in/jsajka
>> 
>> The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
>> Co-Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures    http://www.w3.org/wai/apa
>> 
> 
> -- 
> 
> Janina Sajka (she/her/hers)
> Accessibility Consultant https://linkedin.com/in/jsajka
> 
> The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
> Co-Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures    http://www.w3.org/wai/apa
> 
> Linux Foundation Fellow
> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/board-of-directors-2/
> 
> 
Received on Wednesday, 24 August 2022 17:41:25 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Wednesday, 24 August 2022 17:41:26 UTC