Re: Basic Roles Proposal

From: Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 08:58:12 -0700
To: "Kanai, Takeshi" <Takeshi.Kanai@jp.sony.com>
Cc: Web Annotation <public-annotation@w3.org>
Hi Takeshi,

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 12:53 AM, Kanai, Takeshi <Takeshi.Kanai@jp.sony.com>
wrote:

>  3.1.8 Literal Bodies Cannot Have Roles
>
> Can I think “language” in this description points to dc:language which is
> delivered from @context, and it is still possible to set @language to body?

I would like to make sure whether the simple literal body prohibits even
> having native properties in each serialization format, such as @language in
> JSON-LD and “LANGTAG” (@en, for example) in Turtle, or not.

In JSON-LD it is technically possible to use @language with a literal.  In
RDF, this translates to "some string"@en.  Also @type to set the format:
 "<span>some string</span>"^^rdf:HTML

The issue is that it's not possible to do both at once and have both a
language and a format associated with a literal.  Thus, to avoid the
inevitable mistakes between @language and dc:language, @value and
rdf:value, the decision was to only allow literals that were plain text
strings and did not have a language associated with them.

The role proposal doesn't change that either way (it wasn't possible before
and still isn't), but no it's not possible to set @language on a literal
body.  This is not explicit in the current model documentation, and should
be.

>  3.1.7 Multiple Targets with Roles Example
>
> I think this is an editorial issue. I can see ”lit” prefixes in the
> examples, but what it stands for is not described. Will it be fixed?

I can fix that :)

I'll add some descriptive text before the examples, and a second context
that defines the lit prefix.

Many thanks Takeshi!

Rob