RE: Annotate same text fragment.

Rob-

4.1 of the Web Annotation Data Model notes

1.       If a Specifier (e.g., an oa:Selector) "has an HTTP URI, then its description, and only its description, must be returned when the URI is dereferenced."

2.       But if an oa:SpecificResource "has an HTTP URI, then the exact segment of the Source resource that it identifies, and only the segment, must be returned when the URI is dereferenced."

I take this to mean that if I am using an oa:SpecificResource to target a text fragment as my Annotation Target, I should give it a URI only if I have a service that will deliver that exact text fragment when the URI is de-referenced. Otherwise I should give a URI to the description (e.g., in JSON) of the Selector and then reuse that to construct a new blank node oa:SpecificResource in each subsequent Annotation that wants to target the same text fragment.

First, is this the correct interpretation?

Second, if so this is mildly inconvenient. Can you remind me as to the rationale for doing this (e.g., as opposed to allowing a redirection to an RDF description of the SpecificResource Target as an option)?

Thanks,

Tim Cole