Re: About Emotional Opinions

I don't know who I'm addressing this to, since my understanding is that the name given translates to "name." Of course, there is no requirement to give your real name on this mailing list, but you may find that anonymity makes it less attractive for some to engage in discussion with you.

With that said -

Succeeding in standards work requires engagement in good faith. As has been pointed out, everyone participates here because they want to; no one is compelled to respond to a message, or put work into an effort they aren't interested in.

Therefore, good proposals are well-described; requiring participants to surmise or deduce what you are proposing makes it more likely that you will fail to gain their interest. The number of people that didn't understand your proposal should be taken as an indication that it needs to be better-described, not that they are making bad assumptions, have emotional opinions, etc. Merely offering source code is not a good way to make a proposal.

Furthermore, please avoid ascribing motivations to others, since this is so often a source of misunderstanding and contention. In particular, characterising those who are trying to help you by explaining the constraints which might affect your proposal as "emotional" is needlessly inflammatory and, if it continues, may be cause for action under RFC3934.

Finally, please avoid using the mailing list for administrative matters, such as e-mail delivery issues.

The area you are considering has had considerable previous discussion and experimentation over several years, and other participants are attempting to give you the benefit of that experience. You will find that if you engage in good faith and accept that you may still need to learn more, others will do the same.

Cheers,

Mark Nottingham, Working Group Chair