Re: Httpdir last call review of draft-ietf-alto-new-transport-14

On Thu, Oct 5, 2023, at 13:53, kaigao@scu.edu.cn wrote:
> We will really appreciate it if you can point us to any work that has a better
> design, as it looks like a generic problem.

The namespacing issue is easy to address using the design I sketched out.  That's a pretty common pattern.

The heartbeating mechanism you describe could work, though it could end up being wasteful.

There is an alternative here, which is to avoid server-side state and put the necessary state into the URL you return to clients when "creating" a view.  Then you don't need to rely on liveness checking so much.  You can have server side caches for any essential state that carries between requests, but you don't rely on that state being present.  Any state can be cleared as necessary (on a timer, say), without needing constant pings, because it can be recovered if necessary from the URL.  If you can get away with having no server-side state at all, this is even better, but I don't know how much these views represent substantial investment in computation or state such that it might be awkward to transfer that with every request.