Re: Can proxies forward extended CONNECT in HTTP-version and protocol-agnostic manner?

Hi folks,

The original analysis seems to focus on the request and response. For
those, I agree with your analysis. However, things get more complicated
after the protocol tunnel is established. In h1 and h2, the only available
HTTP-transport-layer elements are a bidirectional byte stream, so proxying
the bytes unmodified should be safe. In h3, it gets more complicated
because of things like datagrams. Now if you just blindly copy the request
stream's bytestream, you're losing semantic value. (Note that this also
applies to h2, as one could in theory write an extension to h2 that defines
new capabilities at the h2 framing layer.) As Ben points out, an
implementation that supports RFC 9297 could look at datagrams and the
Capsule-Protocol header, but that doesn't help with other extensions.
Another example is WebTransport and the way it ties other QUIC streams to
the WebTransport session.

So, if the goal is to build an intermediary that translates automatically
between HTTP versions without understanding the protocol, it will fail any
time a new extension to HTTP itself is required for a protocol to operate.
But that's not a deal breaker, just something to consider. Those extensions
to HTTP require settings, so the client shouldn't be using those protocols
if the intermediary hasn't sent the corresponding setting. So I guess it
comes down to: if an intermediary wants to do this, it really needs to
properly handle translating all of the extensions that it supports.

To throw one more wrench into these gears, the Capsule-Protocol header was
unfortunately defined to be optional so an intermediary that receives
HTTP/3 :protocol=connect-udp but without Capsule-Protocol=?1 won't know
what to do with datagrams it receives. I vaguely remember that the intent
of the proponents of making Capsule-Protocol optional was explicitly to
prevent doing this type of conversion.

Anyway, apologies for the long ramble. Based on all this, it's probably not
safe to convert unknown HTTP upgrade tokens between HTTP versions.

David