Re: Introducing a new HTTP response header for Carbon Emissions calculation

Bertrand,

I'm sharing the concern of Willy (and others) of the overhead of this
approach.   You state that the aim of this is:

we're looking for a way to know the carbon emissions of our supply chain
> (external Web services).

That is laudable, but why does that need to be done per response?      The
per response approach has the following issues:

   - It is after the fact, thus it does not allow emissions to be estimated
   in advance, nor to be part of the design process when choice about which
   services are used and how often they are used can be made.
   - It excludes fixed costs of an idle service.
   - It increases the data size by a percentage. Once stage-3 emissions are
   included, this impact will be larger.
   - The header value will either be quantized and inaccurate, or it will
   be precise and always changing, thus being a difficult value to compress.
   - It suffers from numerical insensitivity, as the sum of millions of
   small amounts is unlikely to be an accurate reflection of the total.
   - It suffers from brevity, so any additional information that might be
   available or added over time, is not included.

On the other hand, having a well known resource on a service could address
these issues:

   - Average/estimated emissions can be included  for planning/design
   of new services or for dynamic selection of a service with current low
   emissions.
   - Both fixed and per request emissions can be listed.
   - Total historic emission can be given per session / per connection /
   per identity etc.
   - By providing a real total, numeric insensitivity is avoided
   - No data overhead for clients that do not care.
   - Overhead for clients that do care need only be once per session /
   connection / period
   - The resource can be an extensible format so new fields can be
   standardized and added

Thus I'd very much prefer to explore a well known resource solution rather
than a per response one.

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@webtide.com> CTO http://webtide.com