From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2023 6:11 PM
To: Bertrand Martin <bertrand@sentrysoftware.com>
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: Introducing a new HTTP response header for Carbon Emissions calculation

I enthusiastically support this idea. I disagree with the list-of-decimals proposals - when I invoke a service I want to know how much carbon it cost, and maybe I want the provider to reduce it; so the list of decimals would be something that might happen behind the provider's firewall, to help them understand contributions to the load. Do the simplest thing first.  And if you did provide such a list, it would be more useful as a set of name/value pairs, and then you'd have to agree on the available names and extension mechanisms, and at least two years would have gone by. This could be shipped in months and would be a big step forward.

Since Scope-2 talks about CO2-equivalent emissions, and the name as proposed is REALLY LONG, maybe instead "Scope2-CO2"?