Re: Introducing a new HTTP response header for Carbon Emissions calculation

Hey,

On Wed, 12 Apr 2023, 08:09 Poul-Henning Kamp, <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> --------
> Lucas Pardue writes:
>
> > Yeah server-timing is one of the headers that sprang to mind when  we
> reading
> > the proposal. Which really focuses the question, who is this data for and
> > why should it be added to every request on the wire?
>
> Because browsers should have a small counter in the top left corner
> accumulating the CO2 charges incurred ?

That's one use case we should capture. However, as I mentioned upthread,
such reporting/rendering can start way closer to home by looking at
client-side contribution. That's not something that needs to weight for an
IETF defined HTTP Field.

Failure to provide client-side reporting risks creating a perverse
incentive to push more work onto the client, which is probably worse from a
net perspective.

Cheers
Lucas