Re: Introducing a new HTTP response header for Carbon Emissions calculation

I think that perhaps both Roy and Betrand are correct.

From my initial reading, there is certainly a measurement component to
emissions accounting.  Thus some mechanism to help with that measurement
(perhaps like Betrand's per request header) will be part of the solution.

But the key reason for doing such emission accounting is to drive choice
around the full life cycle costs of using a product or service.    Thus
when designing a new service, being told the emissions for a request
already completed is about as useful for picking a low emission road design
as being told the emissions for a truck load of gravel after it is
delivered to your road construction site.

To drive low emission design and choices, the emissions for given services
need to be known in advance. Thus Roy's known resource approach could be
key in being able to select one data center over another; one service over
another.

Given the sunk costs of idle data centers, this is likely to have both
static and dynamic aspects to it.  The known static costs can be used to
determine if a service/product will be used in a design or not, then the
dynamic costs can be used to route traffic within that design to somewhere
that currently has low per request emissions (e.g. because the wind is
blowing and the sun is shining near that data center).

So mostly Mark is correct... We need to get information from experts so we
design standards that will help drive low emission designs and choices in
an effective way.

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@webtide.com> CTO http://webtide.com