Re: Introducing a new HTTP response header for Carbon Emissions calculation

On Tue, 11 Apr 2023 at 22:31, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:

> It's a complete waste of time and energy. Carbon emissions are not relevant on a
> per request basis, even if they could be measured by a running process.

completely agree with Roy's assertions ... in the end this activity
will lead to opaque data.

also completely agree with others in the sense that we should try to
do something to help our beautiful spaceship Earth.

and to hijack this thread and go completely sidewise ... any approach
should start outside this particular stack ... for example we could be
enumerating high impact carbon activity like we do with security
CVE's.

A planetwide system that identifies the worst planet 'zero days' is
something that is tractable and would put a 'name' (or at least an
opaque identifier) to the worst environmental offenses that mankind
incurs to this planet. Precise data like CO2 generation would then
have a better 'context'.

/crazy rant over

thx, James Fuller