Time to refresh HTTP/2?

From: Martin Thomson <mt@lowentropy.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 17:15:06 +1000
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
All this tiresome talk about terminology got me thinking about the value of action over words.

So, I present to you a proposed update to RFC 7540:

  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-thomson-httpbis-http2bis-00

This only does:

* removes unnecessarily divisive terminology
* rolls up errata

Obviously, there is a long and slippery slope of things that we might do from this point.  However, I think that it would be good if we could just publish a minimal update without getting embroiled in difficult and time-consuming design questions.

The diff is mostly just stuff that xml2rfc does differently five years on:

  https://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url1=https://ietf.org/rfc/rfc7540.txt&url2=https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-thomson-httpbis-http2bis-00.txt

Or you can peruse the individual changes I made:

  https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/compare/master...martinthomson:main