Re: allowable characters in token as used in parameter ABNF

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 17:17:03 +0100, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 16:59:43 +0100, Julian Reschke
>> <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> That's a good question.
>>>
>>> Even if it's not the case today it would be cool if it could be done
>>> at least for new stuff.
>>  Why exactly?
>
> So that you don't need to come up with a new parser for each of them?
>
> (Am I missing something here?)

Well, I don't really see the drawback in allowing more bytes by default.
It seems that you always need a specific parser at some point except for
headers that take fixed token values, but for those being more lenient is
not an issue. Therefore I was wondering whether a concept of generic
parser is even used/needed in implementations today. Or maybe they have
such a concept, but it already is far more lenient so it can also cope
with e.g. Link and Cookie-related headers. And maybe Authorization? And
custom set headers through setRequestHeader() per chance? Should
setRequestHeader() impose less strict requirements than it does now?

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/