Re: p3-payload proofreading

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:

>>> I'm not sure what this refers to; could you please supply some context?
>>
>> CURRENT TEXT from 5.1 Accept
>>
>> The asterisk "*" character is used to group media types into ranges,
>> with "*/*" indicating all media types and "type/*" indicating all
>> subtypes of that type.
>>

>> To me, it reads like these would both be valid, even though only the
>> first one actually is? That is, "*/*" is an actual quote, where those
>> exact characters are used. And the other is not.
>>
>> Accept: */*
>> Accept: type/*
>
> Well, if there was a type called "type", it would be valid.
>
> It seems to me that
>
>        "...and "type/*" indicating all subtypes of that type"
>
> is sufficiently clear. Do you think something like
>
>        "...and "X/*" indicating all subtypes of type X"
>
> would make things clearer (this would be easier if IETF specs allowed font
> changes...).

Yes, that would be easier...

What about going from smaller to larger?

The asterisk "*" character is used to group media types into ranges,
with "X/*" indicating all subtypes of type X and "*/*" indicating all
media types.

--
(( Anthony Bryan ... Metalink [ http://www.metalinker.org ]
  )) Easier, More Reliable, Self Healing Downloads