Re: i19 Bodies on GET (and other) requests

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 17:35 +1100, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Background at:

> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2006AprJun/0103>
>
> Does anybody have any new information / thoughts about this?

It seems to me that inferring anything about the presence or absence of
a body based on the method only creates ambiguous situations when that
inference is in conflict with the explicit indications already defined
by the protocol (the Content* and Transfer* headers).

The only exception to this should be HEAD.  In retrospect, I think that
HEAD should have defined special headers to express what would have been
in the body descriptors so that there was no ambiguity
(head-content-length would have the value that would have been in
content-length if the method had been GET, etc).

--
Scott Lawrence
http://skrb.org/scott/