Re: protocol support for intercepting proxies

Yeah, this all points to some sort of generic config protocol.

I think there was a config protocol that Eudora used a while back - it
didn't catch on.  You'd need something more like SNMP, where
configuration points are registered under a global UID schema, or LDAP.
Anything that can have a schema and data.

DHCP is just so restricted it's hard to see why so much effort is still
being poured into it.  There are now more options than you can
realistically fit into a 576 byte single UDP packet.  All to do config.
A separate config protocol or framework would be much easier to grow.
Use DHCP to discover the config server and go from there.  That's
basically what AD does, uses DHCP to find the DNS server to do SRV
lookups on to find the LDAP server.

As long as there is decent client-side API support so that UA developers
can hook into it then the solution to auto-config issues is doable.

However, to quote Donald Rumsfeld, there are still the things we don't
know that we don't know.  I'm still open to the possibility that
considering intercepting proxies could have some benefits, even if one
of those benefits doesn't turn out to be auto-config.  That requires
contemplation of the issue.

Adrien