Re: 305 Use Proxy deprecated?

It's certainly interesting.

Reading through the posts about it from 1997, it originally had quite a
different perceived use I think, since it was foreseen that it would be
used by proxies more than by origin servers I think... at some stage use
by proxies was banned.

I can see a couple of useful scenarios where it would be useful for a
server to tell a UA to use a proxy, but most of these use cases would be
where it was a proxy telling a client.

for instance a distributed cache, where one proxy in a cluster which
shares a common cache index gets a request which is hosted on another
proxy in the cluster - to be able to redirect the UA to the proxy that
holds the file would be one use case (rather than the proxy simply
diverting through to the other cluster member).

The other case could be load balancing.

But anyway, not a biggie.  I think given the extreme lack of wording on
the code in the spec, perhaps some words could be added to discourage
anyone from wasting their time implementing it in a server.

Regards

Adrien