Re: 305 Use Proxy deprecated?

fre 2007-06-15 klockan 17:16 +1200 skrev Adrien de Croy:

> can't find any browser that supports this.

I fail to find use cases where 305 makes much sense, and several
security concerns.

proxies is normally in the users administrative realm, while 305 is only
issued by origin servers (MUST NOT be issued by proxies..). This has
notable implications on authentication, making 305 a very odd case.

To me it simply doesn't make any practical sense. The normal redirects
suits those use cases where a server wants the request to be sent via
another server much better I think.

> So looks like the main browsers (haven't tried Safari) have de facto
> deprecated it.

Yes. Or rather all browsers except Opera choose to ignore 305
completely.

Also I don't think there is many proxies implementing 305.

For 305 to work out the way it is designed it must be handled as a
hop-by-op operation, redirecting the last hop via the indicated proxy.
It should not go up to the user-agent if the user-agent is already using
a proxy.

Regards
Henrik