RE: OPTIONS *

For me, the phrase "to test the capabilities of" misled me.  I assumed
this meant that any capability added to the server, such as support
for WebDAV methods even in some limited namespaces, must be advertised
in OPTIONS * as a capability.  Since this assumption isn't backed
up by implementation reality, the HTTP text could be something like:

  If the Request-URI is an asterisk ("*"), the OPTIONS request is
  intended to apply to the server in general rather than to a
  specific resource. Since a server's communication options
  typically depend on the resource, the "*" request is only
  useful as a "ping" or "no-op" type of method.  For example, this
  can be used to test a proxy for HTTP/1.1 support (or lack thereof).

Lisa