RE: ``canonical'' root URL of a server?

In general, URLs do _not_ have a canonical form. However, HTTP
defines some equivalences for URLs (e.g., that http://host is
equivalent to http://host/, and by using the generic
syntax for host names, the host part is case insensitive).

Some particular HTTP servers MAY define other equivalences,
e.g., that http://host/dir is equivalent to http://host/dir/
and to http://host/dir/index.html.

I'm less sure how equivalence is turned into canonicalization for
the purpose of creating a 'canonical root', though.

Larry
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter