Are international characters allowed in email addresses?

From: John Harrison <jharrison@once.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 11:57:57 -0700
To: "'discuss@apps.ietf.org'" <discuss@apps.ietf.org>
Hello,

I'm researching an issue regarding whether international characters are
allowed in email addresses. Through the research that I've conducted thus
far I've seen contradictory information.

In looking at RFC-822 it only specifies ASCII characters being allowed,
however I have actually seen a few email addresses that do in fact have
international characters in them. For example, josé.bermúdez@xxxxxx.com --
note the accented 'e' and 'u'.

If anyone has any more definitive information regarding what is and what is
not supported in respect to international characters in email addresses, I
would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
John

John Harrison
@Once, Director of Product Management
309 SW 6th Avenue, Suite 900, Portland, OR 97204
direct: 503.419.0552 / cell: 503.804.2161
main: 503.241/4185 / fax: 503.241.4279
email: jharrison@once.com