RE: [ACL] principal-collection-set

   From: Stefan Eissing [mailto:stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de]

   > From: Clemm, Geoff
   >  I really don't care whether the xxx-collection-set is marshalled
   > via properties or OPTIONS (or by REPORT, for that matter)
   > Having the ACL spec do it one way and the DeltaV spec do it
   > another way would be very unfortunate.

   My view is that live properties are WebDAV's way of handling
   meta information.

Note that the OPTIONS call currently handles meta information as well,
e.g. the list of deltav features supported by the server that
implements the resource identified by the OPTIONS request.

In the past, most arguments were about aesthetics (i.e. what method
"should" be used for this kind of information), with little practical
difference between one way vs. the other.

   Another argument: assuming I extend ACL, allowing administrators to
   modify the DAV:principal-collection-set (and creating DAV:principal
   resources via WebDAV PUT in new locations). How do I modify a
   property with OPTIONS?

Yes, this is a difference between marshalling via OPTIONS vs.
marshalling via properties.  In practice, the location of the
principals are hard-wired by the server (so it can use the URL to know
when to dispatch the request to a "principal server"), so this is
unlikely to be something that an HTTP client will be allowed to
change.

These counter-arguments are not so much that I care, but rather to
reinforce that this decision is pretty much of a wash in either
direction.

1) Keep DeltaV with OPTIONS, and make ACL use OPTIONS for consistency
2) Change DeltaV to use properties, and have ACL use properties
3) Have DeltaV and ACL use different ways to obtain xxx-collection-set

The main situation I *really* want to avoid is:
4) Change DeltaV to use properties, and have ACL end up using OPTIONS
   or some other non-property mechanism inconsistent with DeltaV.

So for those folks that care about this (probably not many :-),
which choice do you prefer?