Re: "operation name" .. an alternate proposal

Jean-Jacques Moreau wrote:

> I think it's in fact a little more subtle that this. As you correctly
> point out, per the SOAP 1.2 spec, the ultimate receiver should NOT
> require the presence of the action parameter. This would still be the
> case with Sanjiva's proposal, I think. His proposal (the WSDL) would
> instruct the initial SOAP sender to indeed set the action parameter.
> But would it decide that it does NOT, the ultimate SOAP receiver would
> STILL happily accept and process the incoming SOAP message. So the
> SOAP 1.2 processing model would still be applied (at least its shape,
> if not its intent).

Hi  Jean-Jacques,

You are actually pointing out the specific problem that I have with this
proposal.

The whole purpose of the two proposals is to explore a way to make
operation name to be ALWAYS available however it is implemented. In
order to guarantee this, we need to make sure that it appears on the
wire with an extension (WS-MD, etc), with a feature, even with SOAP
Action if the web service that describes the WSDL "requires" it.
Sanjiva's proposal has the following consequences:

-- The  moment we require in the binding that the optional parameter to
be present, we are ultimately declaring that the parameter MUST always
be present. Otherwise, since as it is optional as you also point out, it
may not appear on the wire.

-- The moment we accept that is it optional, although SOAP works ok, the
OperationName is no longer a feature that is always enabled. Therefore,
clients and servers can not rely on it. We are back to square one.

Again, the whole purpose of solving this problem is interoperability. We
will not gain anything.Not only that, we will make something in the SOAP
1.2 spec implicitly required for all web services. It is simply not
acceptable from my point of view.

-

> JJ.

--umit