Re: Backwards compatibility of new selectors

From: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 17:03:26 -0800
To: "Douglas Rand" <drand@sgi.com>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>
Douglas Rand wrote:

>I notice BTW that nobody has even bothered commenting on the clash
>between this work and DSSSL/XSL.

In what ways do these sections clash with DSSSL/XSL?

Compatibility issues aside, the syntax of section 6.6 of the draft makes
little sense to me. The use of the tilde is completely incoherent among 6.6,
6.5 and 6.3.1. Such ad hoc "Netscapisms' should not be in CSS.

Wouldn't attribute selectors (section 6.3) offer a better mechanism for
narrowing context? I'm not convinced your examples are intuitive, but
something along those lines would be better than unmatched bracketing with
forward slashes and tildes with context-sensitive meanings.

David Perrell