Re: Backwards compatibility of new selectors

From: Neil St.Laurent <neil@bigpic.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 09:16:55 -0600
To: "David Perrell" <davidp@earthlink.net>
CC: "Style" <www-style@w3.org>
> Sequential selectors have the following syntax: a forward slash
> ("/") precedes the first selector and immediately follows the second
> selector. The sequential selector matches if (1) the element matched
> by the second selector is the first such element to follow any
> element matched by the first selector and (2) both elements have the
> same parent..

That would make more sense, but then we definitely have a confusion
as to which is more appropriate:

/H1 P/

or

/H1 //P//

Would would appear to mean the same thing with your change to the
selector semantics.

I'm sure somebody would kill me if I suggested a more XSL like syntax
for selectors at this point... :)

I'm thinking maybe we should let the guys who wrote the standard mull
over this selector issue and get back to us on either a clarified or
a modified proposal.

The current system will work, and we already have the algorithms to
do work to process and assign styles based on selectors, but I'll
admit there is possibly a bit of confusion and a bit of redundancy in
the syntax.

__