Alternative to NOBR tag?

From: Dan Delaney <DDelaney@PowerCreative.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 12:57:59 -0400
To: <www-html@w3.org>
Hello all.

Forgive me if this issue has been resolved, but I couldn't find an answer in
the archives or anywhere else.

I strive to make XHTML files that validate. But when I have something like a
phone number or social security number that I don't want the browser to
break apart I have to use the <nobr> tag to do that. The <nobr> tag,
however, keeps the page from validating. Unfortunately, I can't find any
kind of "break" style in the CSS spec that would allow me to create a class
that would tell the browser to do basically what the <nobr> tag
does--something like <span class="PhoneNumber">999-999-9999</span>.

Is there an alternative to the <nobr> tag that works in all of the browsers?
And if not, why has the <nobr> tag been depricated without a viable
alternative?

Thanks.
--Dan
 Dan Delaney, Senior Programmer, Power Creative
 (502) 297-6632, DDelaney@PowerCreative.com
 The Power of Ideas. The Resources to Deliver.
 Visit us at:  http://www.powercreative.com