RE: Alternative to NOBR tag?

From: Jerry Dunietz <jerryd@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 10:55:56 -0700
To: "Tantek Celik" <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>, "Dan Delaney" <DDelaney@PowerCreative.com>, <www-html@w3.org>
Dan Delaney started this thread with an inquiry about suppressing
line-breaking after the "-" characters within a social-security number.
I have another proposed solution which does not rely on CSS:

I read section 13.2 of the *The Unicode Standard Version 3.0* to
indicate that "Zero Width No-Break Space", U+FEFF, can be placed after a
"-" character to suppress line-breaking at that point.

I have no idea which User Agents do or do not support this detail of the
Unicode standard.

Of course, although this suggestion applies to documents encoded in
UTF-8 or UTF-16, it may be irrelevant for documents encoded with various
specific charsets.

Jerry Dunietz
jerryd@microsoft.com