RE: Alternative to NOBR tag?

> From:	Jerry Dunietz [SMTP:jerryd@microsoft.com]
>
> I read section 13.2 of the *The Unicode Standard Version 3.0* to
> indicate that "Zero Width No-Break Space", U+FEFF, can be placed after a
> "-" character to suppress line-breaking at that point.

	[DJW:]  This shouldn't be necessary, as the HTML spec
	says that "-" is an ordinary character and that line
	breaking should use the rules for the specified language,
	and, that the only allowed break points for Western European
	languages are on white space.  Whilst the chances are that
	the language was not specified, I'd epect browseres
	distributed in the USA to use the European rules, and therefore
	only break on "-" if information would otherwise be lost.

	[Following is off topic as it goes beyond negating the requiremnt
	for a NOBR element.]

	U+FEFF is a legitimate HTML character.  I did think of
	mentioning it, but given the fact that only certain breaking
	characters are really breaking in HTML, I was not too sure.

	Of the three hrowsers I tried, only one was broken and treated
	the "-" as a breaking character.  On the other hand, that was
	the only one that didn't treat  as unknown, even though
	it didn't act on it.
[DJW:]